My Experience With Pre-eclampsia

Source

Hello guys. Today I'll be doing something long overdue ; share my experience with pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia is a condition that some pregnant women develop. Some of it's symptoms are high blood pressure, blurred vision, headaches, fluid retention, etc. It mostly occurs in pregnant women but what a lot of people do not know is that it could develop even after the baby is born.


After I had my baby, I noticed my feet were really swollen. In fact, it was not just my feet. Even my face, legs and hands too. However, my feet were swollen to the point of feeling very heavy. So much so that lifting them took some real effort. When the swelling did not seem to be going down, I went to the hospital where I had by baby. After I told the nurse my complaints, she took my blood pressure. If I remember correctly it was 135/100. She then asked me to wait for the doctor along with some other people who were there before me. I waited and waited but the doctor did not show up. I had gone with my mom, husband and baby. We decided to go to another state-owned hospital. We went to see a doctor who had been very helpful in the early stages of my pregnancy before going to see our doctor. She suggested I did a urinalysis which I didn't do because I did want to stay too long in the hospital. I'd done tests before in the hospital and the results took forever to be ready. Besides, our doctor checked me and prescribed drugs that were supposed to bring down the swelling. Thus, we went back home. When we got home, my mom called our family doctor who also gave some prescriptions. I was still taking the medication about a week later when I started to have this incapacitating headache. Took paracetamol, then panadol extra but it persisted. That's when I knew it was time to go back to the hospital.


 At the hospital, they checked my blood pressure and it was 150/something( I'm not good with remembering figures) .The nurses said it's because I wasn't getting enough sleep. They asked if I usually got up to feed my baby everytime and I said yes. They said I should nurse her lying down instead before I kill myself. By the time I went in to see the doctor I couldn't hold back tears. My head was still pounding. It felt like my head was a gong and someone was hitting it. She prescribed medication that I took immediately and asked me to go do an X-ray, and other tests. X-ray results came in and the doctor diagnosed me with hypertension. Hypertension kwa! I can't even begin to explain all the things that rushed through my mind. One doctor asked me if was sure I was not hypertensive before my pregnancy. She said from the X-ray, my heart looked like it belonged to someone who has been hypertensive for a long time. I was sent over to cardiology.

I got to see a consultant who prescribed other tests. Nobody was mentioning pre-eclampsia. I was placed on B.P medication. I would go for routine checks and be the only young person there. They usually assumed I came with a family member. I kept telling myself "I don't belong here". One time I went off my meds. I was just so tired of swallowing pills and threw away. Maybe that was not a smart move. I literally thought I was going to die. My husband went searching for the meds in the trash late that night to get them. Thank God he found them. See, this story is long and..... to be continued.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy |. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts