Thursday 22 November 2012

Liar Liar, Pants on Fire!

It would seem that everybody around me tells lies. So naturally, they expect me to tow the same line. Over the years, I have practiced speaking the truth all the time, no matter the circumstance. At first, it wasn't easy but presently, it has become nearly impossible for me to speak an untruth. I take the honest policy very seriously. I know how this sounds and no, I am not perfect. But, it's just like I have a covenant with myself and God not to tell lies. Because no matter what tight corner I find myself, I never tell a lie to get out. I'm not even good at the so-called diplomacy. However, once upon a time, I used to be. But I've come to a point in my life where I can't fool around on April Fools day, because I see it as lying. I can't tell a white lie.

Sadly, I seem to be the only person who has a problem with lying. Everybody around tells lies and expects me to do same. Sometimes, they actually cook up the lie for you. Even the Born-again Christians are not left out. It's surprising how people just feel that they have to lie. Why? A wise man said,"for every good reason you have to tell a lie, there's a better reason to tell the truth". Right from my childhood I learnt that it was better to tell the truth. As a young adult, the beauty of honesty was impressed upon my mind. As the woman that I am today, I know for certain, the importance of honesty.

Recently, I was reading the book of Genesis;chapters 20 and 26 specifically. The chapters have the story of Abraham and Isaac in Gerar, the land of the Philistines. At different times, both father and son had to lie that their wives were their sisters. Why? They feared death. Abraham said,"...surely the fear of the Lord is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake". They were both in a situation where they felt they needed to lie to save their lives. As I read the chapters, I prayed that I would never be in that kind of situation. That day, I repented of every dishonesty, every time I had not kept my word to somebody. I told God I was not going to lie, no matter the situation. Funnily, a few days later, I am in a situation where it seems I have to lie to save my head. At least, that's what I was told. But I know that is not true. I've chosen to tell the truth because I know my God will not fail me.
I encourage anyone reading this post to strive for honesty because I can not emphasize enough, the importance of honesty.
God bless y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts